Position: Buildings and Grounds Manager
Type: Full Time
Location: Hāna, Maui, Hawai’i
Hāna Ranch is a diverse, 3,600-acre working cattle ranch and farm in the town of Hāna, Maui. Our focus is on sustainable agriculture that enriches the land and provides healthy, fresh food for the people of Hāna, Maui, and Hawai’i to enjoy. We are building a strong team rooted in the values of collaboration, stewardship, place, and community. Our team members are interested in healthy living, excited to learn more about good farming and food production, and dedicated to helping build a productive and sustainable ranch for the Hāna community.
Bio-Logical Capital manages Hāna Ranch and seeks to continue the legacy of Hāna Ranch as a productive, working ranch. Bio-Logical Capital delivers lasting value and strong returns by investing for the long-term and integrating diverse sustainable business development with ecological restoration and conservation. We are truly honored to hold the kuleana of this remarkable ranch and we aim to weave together the resources of the ranch and community to nurture a thriving economy that will benefit the community of Hāna for generations.
Bio-Logical Capital is seeking an experienced Buildings and Grounds Manager to join our growing Hana-based team. The Manager will oversee the day-to-day operations of the ranch grounds and facilities, including supervision of a maintenance team, management of outside contractors, and oversight of minor construction projects. This role entails development of maintenance programs, leading maintenance staff, and budgeting for operating expenses. The Buildings and Grounds Manager will report to the Head of Built Environment, and work closely with the agriculture managers to ensure that maintenance activities are coordinated with all other ranch activities. As execution of this role is critical to ensuring a clean and safe workplace for the entire Hana Ranch team and our guests, the Manager must be knowledgeable of maintenance and construction activities, possess management experience, organized, self-motivated, and safety-minded.
- Create preventative maintenance plans and assist with annual operating expense budgeting
- Lead a staff to maintain and repair the existing and planned new ranch facilities, grounds (e.g., roads, paths, and landscape) and the property perimeter
- Maintain and repair ranch-wide water/irrigation infrastructure, and coordinate with agriculture managers to identify water infrastructure improvements to meet the needs of expanding operations
- Oversee and manage capital and non-capital construction projects such as small agriculture outbuildings, storage facilities, fence and gate installation, and landscaping projects, as well as installation and repair of components related to Hana Ranch’s two potable water utilities
- Oversee demolition of structures that are no longer sound and salvaging of building materials
- Plan and coordinate central services such as security, waste disposal and recycling
- Manage the maintenance of all vehicular and motorized equipment (e.g. trucks, trailers, tractors, ATVs, motorized hand tools) including creation of preventative maintenance plans to meet manufacturer standards, overseeing maintenance and repairs by in-house staff and outside vendors, keeping accurate logbooks, and managing inventory of equipment, fuel, and related supplies
- Create and draft periodic status reports for all buildings and grounds related activities
- Respond to emergencies; lead preparedness planning and recovery for major storm events
- Four years experience in a facilities maintenance management role
- Experience completing minor construction projects
- Knowledge of motorized equipment maintenance and repair
- Computer skills; spreadsheet and word processing software capabilities
- Ability to organize work, engage in a variety of tasks simultaneously, and consistently meet deadlines
- Demonstrated leadership and management ability; strong supervisory skills
- Ability and willingness to respond to emergency calls during evenings and weekends
- Position requires periods of physical activity, including but not limited to, climbing ladders, lifting at least 50 pounds, and pushing at least 75 pounds with assistance of a furniture dolly or cart
- Readiness to relocate immediately to Hāna, Maui
Salary & Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Employees will be eligible to participate in benefits packages, which include medical and retirement.
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume, available start date, contact information, and reference contact information to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org, mail to the below address or drop off in person at Hāna Ranch Headquarters. Please apply by October 1, 2014. Qualified candidates will be contacted directly. No phone calls please.
The Hāna Ranch
Attn: Hāna Ranch Positions
PO Box 507
Hāna, HI 96713